The famous Mathias blog

BARRY HARRIS

Re: The famous Mathias blog

Post by BARRY HARRIS » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:20 am

Nothing wrong with your blogs as they are Dave. Everyone ( or nearly everyone ) knows they are tongue in cheek.

Glyn

Post by Glyn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Happy belated Birthday Barry :o In the Inter Area Team now
Not afraid to put my name up like some on here. I also have a Hard earned Green Blazer

LLANGAFF

Post by LLANGAFF » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:57 am

Well after a bit of "spat" between the Old Bowls Codger and Scuffer earlier in the week, brought on to be honest by the Codger's over imaginative mind,it was back to all things bowls yesterday as Sea Captain Bailey's A team travelled to Blaenau to take in the Slatemen.

The Sea Captain had made one change from last weeks defeat at the Hirael Oval, bringing in the Clog Man to replace nephew Prince Charming who was "Stag Doing" it in Liverpool. To be fair Clogsi is struggling health wise these days and must be commended for not letting the team play short.

A rare change for the Codger as the Picasso had a day off and we drove to Blaenau in Happy Harris C3. The lads were caught out by the weather as for a change we didn't require our Helly Hansen sou westers and waterproofs as the sun was beating it down when we arrived. Unfortunately also for the Cocklers the Slatemen were today fielding their strongest team of the season so far with the four "Vaughan - Jones playing together for the first time

Not the greatest of results with the team going down 2/10 and 136/190 on the aggregate. The only winners were Stanley the Younger who beat Little Em from Criccieth 21/16 and Happy Harris 21/9,who was immaculate on a 21 meter straight falling mark as he beat "Dylan" V J. Mind you Dylan did get the award for the best looking bowler as when he stepped onto the green in his Cotton Traders Shorts, Migos T Shirt, and TK Maxx shades with some tasty tattoos to match, he looked as if he'd just come off a Tom Ford Fashion Catwalk.

We were unlucky in two matches as Two Scoops Arfon led Barry John 19/11 before at 20/20 and holding a cracker for the game B J came in with a front toucher to win 21/20. The Sea Captain also had a titanic match against "Gareth"V J, fighting back from 19/14 down to hold two for the game at 19/19, before Gareth came in with two pearlers on the last two ends to take the match 21/19.

The Codger went down 21/13 Rehau Martin. Not the best of matches with some very poor ends but at the end Martin was not so much bothered about some of his slack woods but at the fact that he had to pay £ 1.50 for a can of Diet Coke for me from the Park Shop. The only other matters of interest were "The Flash" trainers Ginger Steve was wearing as once he was flying across the green on his favourite long diagonal cross green mark, Beautiful Legs Timmy was doomed as he went down 21/8.

On the way back we stopped off for a pint at the Stagecoach in Betws. But instead of bowls talk we were enthralled ( well perhaps not), by Two New Knees Al telling us stories about the time he worked as a Bus Ticket Collector for Crosville before he went to Teachers Training College in the 60's. The more stories we heard visions of Reg Varney started coming into my head. Yes, oh to see Al with his black glossy cap and little ticket machine strapped to his midriff would be a thing to behold.

Back at the Happy Valley Nou Camp Tricky Trevs B team had an average 8/4 win against Eirias. Winners were Beggers,Dough Man Ger, Thommo, Bisto Dave and the Bobbi Dazzler. The final winner was the Great Orm who as per usual drew another player from the "fairer sex". But am sure that he must have had to play well to beat Jackie O 21/9.

Well it's another big day on the Welsh Crown Green calender with the Welsh Men taking on the Potteries at Trefnant. So will shortly be donning the Green Blazer and heading off with Happy Harris, the Clog Man and Boothi Boy for what is a must win match for the team

LLANGAFF

Post by LLANGAFF » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:55 am

Well the Picasso was back on the road yesterday as it headed out to Trefnant with the Old Bowls Codger and his "Green Blazer", the Clog Man, Happy Harris and Boothi Boy for Wales' must win match against a very strong Potteries team.

The weather was glorious and the bowling green looked great, although not running as fast as it had been in the past.

It was very nice to see that we had a lady referee, Evelyn Hastings from North Lancs and Fylde. Think after seeing Evie that D T no longer merits my accolade as the most "Immaculately" looking referee.

There was a great crowd watching although Chambers did step out of line by stepping onto the green to throw back a jack and was quickly given a stern admonishment by reserve referee the Right Honourable Peter Hayes. Mind you it did have the added effect of keeping Chambers quiet for the next five minutes at least.

The first four blocks were fascinating to watch. Star player "Little Jas" went down 10/1 before fighting back to win 21/15. Unfortunately "G P", on his debut, couldn't find his normal good form, even though he was being heartedly and "lager" loudly encouraged by Donners team mate, Top Plasterer Craig, and went down 11/21. The Little Italian was however on top form and played superbly to win 21/7. J B was so enthralled by his result that he quickly changed his persona to "Del Boy" to go round collecting over a £100 on the match day raffle. However the best match of the first four saw Marco P fighting back from 7/18 down to win 21/20 and surely in my mind merit the "Man of the Match" award.

By now Clogsi and I were perched on the grass bank in our folding camping chairs and were soon joined by Pembers, Wrexham's answer to the poker playing Steve McQueen in the Cincinnati Kid film and his lovely fiancee Lorna. The Codger and his Green Blazer had a bit of a social mingle and it was nice to see a few of the "older" bowling legends in attendance, like Harry Bailey, John Evans and Arthur Ollerton. Must mention also the namesake of Nurse Debras favourite comic of the 60's " Jackie", who gets a special mention as she pointed out that the Codger looked "very smart". Mind you Jackie think that if the comic was still going that I'd be writing to the "Cathy and Claire" problem page after by spat with Scuffer last week.

Got to have a break now as need to have the three "S". Back later

LLANGAFF

Post by LLANGAFF » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 am

Well that's better, feeling lighter and more refreshed now.

The last eight jacks at Trefnant saw sadly only three more wins for King Louie, Baby K and Daddy N. The team eventually drawing the games 6/6 and winning the aggregate 205/202.

Away at the Dilhorne Bowling Club the Welsh lads lost the games 2/10 and 194/237 on the aggregate. Only winners were "I look good in shorts, don't I ??" Leighton 21/16 and the still very very young looking Adam P 21/11. Again two great performances by those two with their winning records for Wales (in mostly away matches) over the last few seasons being fantastic.

So a plus 40 win on the overall aggregate for the Potteries and they now await next month's playoff match against Cumbria to see who will win the group.

At Trefnant the Welsh Man of the Match was awarded to "King Louie" who was sporting his new "Prison Break" haircut, after his 21/7 win. Mind you did think that I could hear his opponent Chris McDonald singing "I wanna be like you" in the background as he received his trophy. The Potteries Man of the Match Award went to Matthew Hill after his superb 21/14 against "Captain" Paul. The overall British CGBA Man of the Match Award went to Potteries man Gareth Stanway and his white woods after his victory against 'G P".

After the match we all rolled down the hill ( although I believe the Top Plasterer had to be carried) to the Trefnant Arms were the players and officials enjoyed a very nice pork roast dinner.

The Codger, Clogsi, Happy and Boothi shared a pint and chat with Smiley Mike and Marco P. Mike told us of his intention on the 1st September 2018 ( the date of the Rwsters Saturday away game at Beaumaris) with his brother and a few friends to undertake a charity sponsored walk from Llanrwst to Beaumaris. But the walk was not to take the normal road route but was going to be a mountain trek from Llanrwst up and over the Carneddau Mountain Range to Talybont outside Bangor and then on by road to Beaumaris. The walk was expected to take them 10 hours, with a 2 am start and cover well over thirty miles. Can't recall now the name of the charity but with Smiley shortly to circulate posters advertising the event, would hope that as many bowling clubs and players will generously support him and his friends on what will be a very tough trek. Mind you saying all that about being tough and fatigue sapping, they both will probably still end up winning their matches against us.

So disappointing campaign for Manager Joe and the team, but special thanks from myself Joe as the Deputy President for having the guts to take on such a difficult job. Big thanks also to President Brenda Jones for taking on the away trips, Peter and John for taking on the mic duties, Dusia ( and yesterday of course Del Boy) for doing the raffle and to Dave Walker and Mark Jones for all the unseen work they do in the background.

Well it's another sunny day here at the Pensioner Bungalow and the Codger and the Picasso are off in a bit with Clogsi to support Dougy Boys home team in Gwynedd's home match against the Clwydians at the Benllech Sand Dune Arena. Disappointingly Chambers, who has changed allegiances to the Clwydians this year, will not be coming to Benllech as after last year's 0/3 losing ratio, he told me yesterday that the only thing he'd ever win on the Sand Dune is a castle making competition.

LLANGAFF

Post by LLANGAFF » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Bit of a late blog as the Old Bowls Codger s not been too well after yesterday's trip in the Picasso, to support Dougy Boys Gwynedd Veterans Team against the Clwydians at the Benllech Sand Dune Arena.

It was again another hot sun baked day which possibly resulted in the Codger getting a bit of sun stroke. Suppose that's when some hair and plenty of Brylcreem would have been handy for me then Scuffer !!. Before proceedings got underway, news came through that John Shorts father ( Norman Short) had very sadly, that morning, passed away. So it would, as Immaculate would say, be remiss of me, not to extend my deepest condolences to Frances, John, Phil and their extended families on their loss. Norman, for those who did not know him, was a very quiet man and for many years worked as a Postman at the old Bangor Post Office and the Bangor Royal Mail Sorting Office, when I also worked there as an administration clerk. He was an avid West Bromwich Albion supporter ( as are now John and Ryan), not only naming his house "The Hawthorns", but also having his then car decked out in the club colours. As Slinky Garry told me last night the Hirael children used to say "There goes Norman Short in his Westbrommobile" as he drove past. So RIP Norman.

But anyway it was a great turnout at the Sand Dune Arena and a great result for Dougy Boys team. They drew thew games 6/6 but won the aggregate by 23 points ( 211/188).

Best winners were John Cope 21/7, Derek ( 83 and still got all his own hair ) Stanley 21/9, Happy Harris, making his Veterans debut 21/10, Two New Knees Al 21/12 and Beggers 21/12. The last winner was another Veterans debutant, Tommy ( sorry only joking I mean David) Trinder, who also won 21/12.

We won't mention Thommo but of course I must. After inexplicably being listed as the number 12 by Dougy Boy,he then got further bad news on the day to say that his opponent, the little known Ray Shawcross, was being replaced by the 'E Cigarette Promoter"himself Sir Roger. Well the rest as they say was history and he went down 21/10. And after a phone call with him last night he is once again seriously thinking of packing the game up and concentrating on his Ping Pong. See Roger, all your fault ha ha.

And more good news was to follow with the Gwynedd away team also winning their away match at Abergele 7/5 in games and drawing the aggregate 201/201. So overall 15/11 win for the Gwynedd Veterans Team.

On a separate issue it was nice to see Squeaky Glyn at the green yesterday after his dose of Shingles, even though he was now unrecognizable with his Tom Hanks Castaway type beard. Also pleasing to see Trevor Lewis at the green with his wife Margaret. The only sad note for the Codger was that the Benllech Songbird ( Lynette) was not there. Apparently as per Curator Gwyn, she was undertaking part of the Anglesey Coastal Walk with her dog "Snapper" getting as one with the sea bird life. Also missed "Tango -ed Barbara in the kitchen, even though the ladies that were there had provided a fantastic array of "Bake Off" cakes for all the players and supporters.

So good day for the Gwynedd Veterans Team and roll on next month when the Wrexham Veterans come down to the Benllech Sand Dune Arena.
Last edited by LLANGAFF on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Glyn

Post by Glyn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Must add up to 26 points
And more good news was to follow with the Gwynedd away team also winning their away match at Abergele 7/5 in games and drawing the aggregate 201/201. So overall 14/11 win for the Gwynedd Veterans Team.
Not afraid to put my name up like some on here. I also have a Hard earned Green Blazer

LLANGAFF

Post by LLANGAFF » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks. Sorry corrected now. I take it then it should read 15/11 then

Glyn

Post by Glyn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Correct
Result shows 13/11 but I add 2 points on the League Tables

http://bowlsnet.uk/WelshVets/!Fixtures

top blagger

Post by top blagger » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 am

As Llangaff was busy entertaining his harem of ex-workers, I thought the least I could do was offer an olive branch :D and give an away team perspective (my views) get that disclaimer in ;)

On the way to Beaumaris the phone goes (professor) there is an arrive alive van just out side Menia Bridge ( notorious) spot, be warned! ( thanks mate).
On arriving by my lonesome, apart from the custom cool breeze, I notice the car park has gone up to £2.50 minumum (4 hour stay) and the dispensation after 8pm a distant memory :(

After a good old moan, got on the green and had a throw, the surface has greatly improved, although still a bit rough around the edges!
The first four went on, I had a bit of an AC/DC moment, as I watched by the side of the green,

AC gave me the usual firm handshake, and reminded me how much I missed the late DC.
AC told me he wasn’t thunderstruck on social media and that it was a bit of a highway to hell, point taken!
As for the match itself, some very good games with the scores not doing justice to a fair few, both home and away.
Beaumaris taking the honours 7-3.

So it was off to the pub for the usual bit of grub and a chat, I have to say the Beast was not to impressed with the £4.40 it cost for his fine ale, stating it was cheaper in London!
A local calmly replied with a straight face ‘ off you go then’ not often you see the beast speechless :)
Back to the car, thank pluck no ticket!
“There’s an important difference between giving up and letting go.”